Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Block Party


When I was 10 years old I had to do my communion because my mom wanted me to, and I was too young to decide. I had to take classes at church. I had to buy a dress. My dress was white and puffy. I looked like a little bride. I had the headband that covered my face. I looked very pretty that day the best part was when my family got together in my old neighborhood and we had a big block party and celebration for my accomplishment. My neighborhood and my house were full of people. There were many cars outside. The grown people were drinking and dancing and the “jitterbugs”, us children, were just playing outside and messing around. No! There wasn’t any kids smoking, drinking, or nothing by the influence because my family isn’t about that stuff. They aren’t against it but that’s not the way they raised us. The thing about my old neighborhood was that no one trips out there about parties. Neither does the neighborhood I live now. But I don’t really go outside at my current neighborhood. I usually stay inside or just go out and get home late. It all depends. But my old neighborhood was fun, crazy, and full of noisy people out there. No, I didn’t live in a neighborhood that the police would be lurking every 24 hours in the 7 days of the week. When something did happen everyone would be outside but the trouble wouldn’t be coming from my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment