Monday, September 21, 2009

I Believe in a father's words

When I was 14 years old my dad said, “------, you can do anything you mind to and you can be anything you wanna be.” Now my dad is 37 years old, and he’s a 6’5” African American weighing 330 pounds. That’s a big man!

It all started on a Friday afternoon and my dad was at home. I just came home from school. I was inside the house getting ready to go to sleep, but my dad called me to come and watch a scary movie with him.

“It’s called The Unborn.”

I said, “Yeah, sure Dad. That’s a good movie.”

So he said “-------, I’ll get the soda and chili and you put the movie on.”

I said, “Okay, that works.”

So we start watching the movie and about an hour later, the phone rings and we’re both so in to the movie that we ignored the phone. Then it rings again and my dad says, “Hurry up and answer the phone. You are gonna miss this part. It’s a good part.”

So then I answered the phone and I was trying to watch t.v. at the same time so my dad paused the movie while I was on the phone. Then my dad says “Sarah, who is that?”

I said, “Dad, this is my friend James.”

He said “What do he want? We’re watching a movie!”

“He wants me to come outside,” I said.

So my dad takes the phone and says “bye.”

Then he said “--------, you can go out side but I want you to be careful because you have a bright future ahead of you and you can do anything you put your mind to and you can be anything you want to be, but I just don’t want some boy to come and mess your future up and make you get off track.”

He also said “------, I just don’t want you to go down the same road I went down. I want you to be better and I want you to be careful.”

So instead of me going out side with my friend James, I finished watching the movie with my dad and from that day on I always remembered what my dad said. Now that is my drive to finish school and not let anybody get me off track. It’s all thanks to my dad!

1 comment:

  1. i really like that this person has a really good relationship with her dad.

    ReplyDelete