Thursday, September 17, 2009

My 2nd home vol. 3


I have a place I call my second home. It's called Oahu. I lived there for six years and it's actually a small island. Everyone basically knows everyone. Almost the whole island goes to birthday and graduation parties. there are so many people I can call my cousins, or uncle or aunty. These people can be closer than family. I can definitely call Oahu my second home.

I remember when me and my best friend Jaime graduated 6th grade at --------- ------- Elementary School. My Aunty Kai wanted to throw us a graduation party. Our graduation party was going to be the at Jaime and I's sacred and chill spot: our favorite place on the whole island, North Side of Waikiki beach. It's like a little cove with clear water and to us it was the only spot tourists weren't invading.

Our graduation party was definitely a night to remember. Everyone was there! My Aunty Kai told me that 472 people showed up, and surprisingly, I knew every single one of them. We had a buffet of food on four huge tables. there were musubi's, Kai'lua pork, Spam, rice, duck, chicken potatoes, salad, li'hi'moi, mangos, pineapple, fried rice, and a lot more, but I can't remember everything.

There was music of all sorts. For example, we listen to artists you probably never heard of, artists that you'd only hear if you lived in Oahu like, Ekolu, Hawaiian Boyz, Zak Kekona, Terreyak Boyz, and N Shore Boyz. There was some rap, and some old school rap.

There's a tradition in my family: if you graduate you have to do the traditional Hula 'eva dance also known as hula. So me and Jaime had to get on this small stage, probably 10 x 10 feet wearing purple hula skirts (because purple is our favorite color) with a tight white tank top. When we hula we have to tell a story.

The story I chose was of the goddess Pe'le. She is definitely my favorite goddess. She is the goddess of fires and volcanoes. After er tell the story you have to give proof of her existence. I used my favorite story of her: when you see a lady with white glowing hair walking along Kai'ele mountain road, and you pass her three times without any hesitatio to stop, she will start a forest fire or a volcano will errupt whether it is dead or alive. I heard this story when I was 11 years old and hanging out with my favorite Kumu'lo.

At the end of the night when alomst everyone left, me and Jamie would just lay there staring at the stars. We were tired from the previous events. It was definitely a night to remember.

2 comments:

  1. I can almost see those tables with all that food, feel the warm tropical breeze, and fine grains of sand between my toes. What is that ~ way off in the distance, that red glow reflecting off the clouds... Perhaps Pe'le is restless tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for the comment. I never thought I would ever publish my Hawaiian Cultural experiences on the internet. So your comment means alot to me. Thank You

    ReplyDelete