Monday, November 2, 2009

The Worst Day of My Life




The worst day of my life was a Friday. Around 4:00 P.M, my cousins, my uncle, my aunt, my sister, my uncle’s friend and I were at my grandmother’s house in Puerto Rico. We were all playing around. My cousins, my uncle and his friends were fixing their “Go Karts.” My uncle and one of my cousins had an argument because my cousin wanted to ride the “Go Kart” and my uncle told him no because the “Go Kart” wasn’t ready to ride but my cousin took it anyway. My cousin and one his friends were riding around. My cousin went to the right and his friend went to the left. When they were coming back they started acting like if they were going to hit each other but they were coming so fast that when they tried to skip each other they didn’t have time they really did hit each other.

My aunt and I ran outside and when we saw what happened we went to look for a phone. We started calling everyone but they thought we were playing. We couldn’t drive or anything because we were all under age so I ran to where the accident happened and when I went to see my cousin he had blood all over him I started crying and to scream for help. Thirty minutes passed since we called 911. No body came. My cousin was closing his eyes slowly. Forty-five passed and the ambulance still didn’t came. I sat down. I put his head in my lap and I started talking to him. The last thing he said was “Where is Mami?” I kept crying.

Finally the ambulance came and took him to the hospital. They did everything fast and they told us that they didn’t think he was going to survive. My world just fall apart in my head and all I did was cry and cry. They had him attached to all these machines for two weeks. After that they told us the only way he could stay alive is with the machines. He was going to be like a dead person he wasn’t going to talk, eat and walk. So we all got together and we decided to let him go to a better place.

Now he is gone. Life isn’t the same but I know he is some place better. Nobody is going to ever fill the spot he left at his school, the spot that he has in everybody’s heart and the love that his family has for him. He was one of the kids that everyone loved because of the way he was. He was just himself.

On the day of his funeral 376 people showed up. Everyone was crying! I felt like my life was done. I couldn’t stop crying. It was a lot of people. I knew half of them would act like they cared but we weren’t going to see them again. People that said they were friends; we weren’t going to see them again. People that they said they were friends, we saw them crying for days we don’t know even where they are now. People said, “If you need me I am here.” We don’t know where they are.

I will never forget him. Years have passed and the pain that I have hasn’t been relieved. I learned a lot from him. I learned to be me, not who others want me to be. He taught me to be proud of myself even if others aren’t, and to earn what I want. In today’s days my life isn’t the same. I feel that life isn’t fair. Sometimes I feel like I am done, but I just think about what he used to tell me. Every time I go to Puerto Rico I go to where the accident happened and it’s just a feeling that only somebody that had passed through something similar can feel.

1 comment:

  1. This must have been awful to witness. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete